Auburn, Ala. -- Georgia Tech's Juan Spir and Vikram Hundal took down the nation's top-ranked doubles team, but the Yellow Jackets were able to muster just one singles victory and fell to No. 21 Auburn, 6-1, Sunday at the Yarbrough Tennis Center.
Tech, ranked 66th-nationally, fell to 4-5 for the spring, while Auburn improved to 8-2. The Yellow Jackets return to action Thursday with a home match against Georgia State at 4 p.m.
Spir and Hundal, ranked No. 3 in the nation, had little trouble defeating Daniel Cochrane and Andreas Mies, winning 8-3 to improve their record to 10-1 for the spring and 18-2 for the year. It was the first loss in a dual match this spring for Cochrane and Mies, who are 15-2 overall.
Tech was unable to capitalize on that win and take the doubles point, however. Juan Melian and Nathan Rakitt were defeated by Dennis Lengsfeld and Lucas Lopasso, 8-2, at No. 2, and Colin Edward and Eduardo Segura dropped an 8-5 decision to Lukas Ollert and Joseph Van Dooren at No. 3.
The Tigers went on to clinch the match quickly with straight-set victories on courts 3, 4 and 5. Ollert, ranked No. 120 nationally, beat Hundal on court 3 and Lengsfeld downed Rakitt on court 4 by identical 6-3, 6-3 scores. Lopasso notched the clinching point with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Segura at No. 5.
After Auburn captured its fifth point on court 6, Juan Melian earned Tech's point at No. 2 with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Cochrane. Spir, ranked 63rd nationally in singles, was upended on court 1 in three sets by Mies, who is ranked No. 106.
#21 Auburn 6, #66 Georgia Tech 1
Feb 24, 2013 at Auburn, Ala. (Yarbrough Tennis Center)
1. #106 Andreas Mies (AU) def. #63 Juan Spir (GT) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
2. Juan Melian (GT) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 6-4, 7-5
3. #120 Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Vikram Hundal (GT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-2, 6-3
6. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 6-4, 6-2
1. #3 Vikram Hundal/Juan Spir (GT) def. #1 Daniel Cochrane/Andreas Mies (AU) 8-3
2. Dennis Lengsfeld/Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) 8-2
3. Lukas Ollert/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) def. Colin Edwards/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-5
Georgia Tech 4-4; National ranking #66
Auburn 7-2; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,4,5,6,2,1)