ATLANTA -- Home games against Orange Bowl champion Clemson, ACC Coastal Division champion Duke and division rivals Miami and Virginia, and road games at Georgia, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech and North Carolina highlight Georgia Tech's 2014 football schedule.
"Even though you know what opponents you will play, it's always an exciting time for the players, coaches and fans when the schedule is officially released," head coach Paul Johnson said.
"It's certainly a challenging schedule. Five of our six road games come against teams that played in bowl games last season and the home schedule is strong as well."
The Yellow Jackets, 7-6 overall and 5-3 in the ACC a year ago, open the season Aug. 30 against Wofford in Bobby Dodd Stadium.
Georgia Tech opens ACC play on the road against Virginia Tech Sept. 20 in Blacksburg, Va.
Here some of highlights of this year's schedule:
- Eight of Georgia Tech's 12 opponents played in bowl games last season. Two Yellow Jacket opponents - Clemson and Duke - were ranked in the final top 25 polls, and two other teams - Georgia and Miami - received votes for the final Coaches Poll.
- Tech will play just six home games for the first time since 2010 after playing seven home contests each of the last three seasons.
- Georgia Tech will play every game on a Saturday for the first time since 1992.
- The Yellow Jackets will not play a Thursday night game for just the second time since 1993. Tech did not play on Thursday night in 2012, but the Jackets opened that season on a Monday (Labor Day) evening at Virginia Tech.
- Tech has two open dates for the second consecutive season.
- The Yellow Jackets will open ACC play on the road for the third consecutive year. Last year Tech kicked off league play at Duke, and in 2012 at Virginia Tech.
- Tech's first five ACC games come against Coastal Division opponents with its two Atlantic Division opponents - Clemson and NC State - coming at the end of the schedule.
- Tech's first three ACC games come against defending Coastal Division champion Duke and the two teams that tied the Yellow Jackets for second place, Virginia Tech and Miami.
- Duke is the only ACC team with an open date the week prior to playing the Yellow Jackets.
There's a number of "firsts" on the Georgia Tech schedule.
- Tech will play on the road against Pittsburgh for the first time since 1920 and the Jackets will play Tulane for the first time since 1982.
- The Yellow Jackets will play Georgia Southern for the first time ever and will play Wofford for the first time since 1901.
Aug. 30 Wofford
Sept. 6 at Tulane
Sept. 13 Georgia Southern
Sept. 20 at Virginia Tech
Sept. 27 Open
Oct. 4 Miami
Oct. 11 Duke
Oct. 18 at North Carolina
Oct. 25 at Pittsburgh
Nov. 1 Virginia
Nov. 8 at NC State
Nov. 15 Clemson
Nov. 22 Open
Nov. 29 at Georgia