LIVE VIDEO: Atlanta and Company    Watch
 

Pet bed warmer blamed for Gwinnett house fire

8:24 AM, Dec 27, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LILBURN, Ga. -- No one was hurt in a fire that damaged a Lilburn house Friday morning.

The fire broke out at around 3 a.m. on the back porch of a two-story wood frame house on Deer Ridge Court off Killian Hill Road.

Gwinnett County Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said the fire appeared to start in an electrically warmed pet bed. It spread up the outside of the house to the attic.

Three adults and one child were home at the time. Rutledge said one of the adults was awake, while another was awoken by the blaze. They got the others out of the house and tried to put the fire out with a garden hose before Gwinnett fire crews arrived.

Rutledge said the house suffered severe smoke and water damage. The displaced family plans to stay with relatives who live nearby.

Fire officials also managed to rescue the residents' pets -- two dogs and two guinea pigs.

Most Watched Videos