PERRY, Ga. -- Authorities say a space heater sparked a house fire that killed a 55-year-old man in his central Georgia home.
Houston County Fire Chief Jimmy Williams said the fire happened late Saturday night near Perry.
Kenneth Lumpkin was found dead in a room near the front door of the home.
Williams said the heater malfunctioned in a back room of the house on a cul-de-sac not far from Lake Joy Road. He said it caught the curtains on fire.
Flames then tore through the roof with heat so intense it melted the siding on the neighbor's house and the door handles and trim of a Toyota Corolla parked near the driveway. The roof came crashing down on a charred vehicle parked in the garage.