ATLANTA -- The Fulton County Board of Commissioners unanimously adopted a resolution at their Wednesday, Nov. 20 meeting, sponsored by Commissioner Robb Pitts, urging continued negotiation with the Atlanta Braves.
Earlier this month, the Braves announced plans to move from their present home at Turner Field, into a new stadium to be constructed in Cobb County in time for the beginning of the 2017 season.
In a statement released Friday, the commission said that the move would pose a "significant economic impact to Fulton County, particularly with regard to sales tax revenue."
"As long as there is a glimmer of hope, we should do all we can to continue negotiations with the Braves," said Pitts. "Fulton County is a key stakeholder in this process and must have a role in negotiations."
The county commission appoints two of the six members of the Atlanta-Fulton Recreation Authority, which owns Turner Field.
COMPLETE COVERAGE OF BRAVES MOVING:
* Fulton Commissioners urge continued negotiations with Braves
* Exclusive: Ted Turner doesn't want Braves to leave Atlanta
* Reed: 'My taxpayers aren't backstopping a $1.2M stadium'
* Ex-Brave John Rocker: Who wants to fight crime on way to ballpark?
* Exclusive Poll: Atlantans OK with Braves move to Cobb
* New drawings released of new Braves stadium
* Cobb County releases memorandum of understanding on Braves Stadium deal
* Pro/con campaigns on Braves move target voters
* Millions paid for land near stadium days before Braves bombshell
* Robb Pitts: Braves move may open opportunities for ATL
* Deal meets with Reed, Braves to discuss team's departure
* Cobb still mum on taxpayers' share for new Braves stadium
* Turner Field to be demolished after Braves leave
* Fulton chairman: Keep the Braves in Fulton County
* Turner Field neighbors fear "ghost town" if Braves leave, while Cobb County neighbors jumping for joy
* Tom Glavine says he's happy about the possible move
* Braves officials discuss new stadium during press conference
* Braves president Schuerholz announces new stadium
* How old is Turner Field?
* Historic moments at Turner Field