Chalk dust causes classroom evacuation at Sandy Springs Middle

5:15 PM, Nov 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SANDY SPRINGS, Ga. - Officials said what appears to have been chalk dust caused some 22 students to be treated for burning eyes and eye irritation at Sandy Springs Middle School Monday afternoon.

Steve Rose with the Sandy Springs Police Department said the students were moved outside from a computer lab after they complained of burning eyes.

Sandy Springs Fire Chief Jack McElfish says three of the students were taken to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite for treatment.

Fulton County Schools spokeswoman Susan Hale said several eighth graders in the computer lab complained about their eyes hurting. Hale said the entire class was moved outdoors into fresh air. She said they were all checked out by medical personnel.

As a precaution, Hale said, all students in that wing of the building were moved from their classrooms to the school's cafeteria while an investigation took place.

Officials later said chalk dust was in the air and appears to have been the irritant.

 

Most Watched Videos