ATLANTA -- October is the most difficult month of the year when it comes to deal hunting. With Black Friday right around the corner, all thrifty rules get thrown out the window. Items that would usually be considered a great buy in October become an even better purchase the week of Black Friday.
Below I've compiled a list of the worst and best purchases you can possibly make this month. If you have any other money or deal-related questions, ask @MattGranite on Twitter.
Top 5 Best Purchases:
1. Mattresses: Why? Typically mattresses deals are their strongest the two weeks leading up to and including Columbus Day. Most of the top coupons are already out for the major brands and unlike Labor Day, Black Friday is not known for its mattress deals.
Top Mattress Deal:
Up to 65% off Sealy & Serta Mattress Sets + free shipping
2. Cars and Vehicles: It's that pivitoal point of the year where most new models are already on dealer lots or on their way in. You can save between 10% and 20% on a 2013 vehicle with additional local dealer incentives strong this week.
3. Tablets: Late October and early November is when new tablets get released. Amazon has a new Kindle en route this month, the second generation iPad Mini is expected this month as well. That means (just like cars), the older generations yield superb savings in October. On the whole a great tablet deal with a coupon this month is equal to what we see on Black Friday.
Top Tablet Deal Today:
53% off Barnes & Noble Nook Simple Touch + free shipping
4. Wallets: The first week of October we typically see the greatest number of wallet reductions as darker winter colors and leathers emerge. Thankfully, with men's wallets in particular, product lines look the same all year round. While I expect a massive wallet sale online this Thursday, October 3rd, the deal below as part of that sale has dropped early.
Top Wallet Deal Today:
56% off Kenneth Cole Reaction Leather Wallet + free shipping
5. Handbags: Today marks the retail change of season between fall and winter lines but my friends who works in fashion agree the actual differences between a fall and winter handbag are minuscule. That spells tremendous deals today thanks to some exclusive coupons and deal drops.
Top Handbag Deal Today:
50% off Baggallini Hobo Bags + free shipping
Top 6 Worst October Purchases:
1. Televisions: Why? Black Friday is hands down the absolute best day of the year to buy a TV. Waiting another eight weeks can easily save you as much as $800. Patience will pay-off big time.
2. Appliances: Why? Although manufacturers release new models in September and October (which conventional wisdom would lead you to believe 2013 models would be cheaper right now), Black Friday appliances discounts reign supreme.
3. Winter Gear: Why? With the exception of winter coats which I expect to go on sale across the board October 23rd, hats, gloves, skates and any other winter essential costs 40% - 60% less in December.
4. Holiday Decor: Why? My rule of thumb: anything orange, pumpkin or reminiscent of Autumn is a bad October purchase. From serving sets, to soaps, candles and items that would otherwise be useful all year (with the exception of Halloween decor), wait until November and these products will be half price.
5. Video Games and Multimedia: Why? The top bundles, BOGO offers and freebies on everything from movie collections to video games appear the week leading up to Black Friday and several times in December. Hold off if you can, you'll be able to get much more for your money in a month.
6. Cell Phones: If you're searching beyond the iPhone for some cell savings, Black Friday and Cyber Monday usher in fantastic smartphone savings and one or two unprecdented price drops.