LIVE VIDEO: Atlanta and Company    Watch

Man who threatened to use guns at school gets bond

1:05 PM, Sep 13, 2013   |    comments
Joseph John Medved
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. -- A man was arrested Wednesday after making threats about using guns at a Gwinnett County high school.

Joseph John Medved, 51, was granted a $50,000 bond Friday during a court appearance. He was also ordered to stay away from schools and guns.

Medved was charged with making statements about going to his old high school in Gwinnett County to test weapons. Medved made comments to a receptionist of a pain treatment center in Roswell, with other witnesses present. He said he had a weapon at a pawn shop.

Witnesses called deputies in Forsyth County where the suspect lives to report the threats.

Forsyth County investigators went to his home to speak with him. At that point, he was being closely observed.

A Fulton County Sheriff's deputy on the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force was notified to investigate since the statements were made in Fulton County. That Fulton County Sheriff's deputy obtained a warrant for the suspect for Making Terroristic Threats.

Fulton County deputies formed a joint operation with the Forsyth County Sheriffs Office with support from the FBI's JTTF.

Thursday morning, Forsyth County deputies had Medved under surveillance and confirmed that he went to a pawn shop to get a weapon.

The suspect went home to Cumming. Forsyth County deputies saw him go to a wooded area and fire shots into the woods. Task force members saw him putting weapons in truck. The suspect was taken into custody around noon on Thursday without incident while he was separated from his weapons. The Forsyth Sheriff's Office deputies did excellent work.

The suspect was taken to the North precinct in Forsyth County. Search warrants for the home were obtained by Forsyth County Sheriff's deputies.

In the basement of the home, Forsyth and Fulton deputies found a shotgun, rounds, and shrapnel described as nuts and bolts. They immediately left the home when they discovered what appeared to be an IED, improvised explosive device.

GBI and JTTF bomb technicians investigated and determined there was not a threat.

Most Watched Videos