(WXIA) -- Be informed using a list of some of the top news stories to talk about on Tuesday, August 27. These are the 11 stories making local and national headlines.
1. Pedestrian killed on I-75
The Georgia Department of Transportation said a pedestrian was hit on I-75 just past Highway 138.
2. 12 arrested as part of illegal dog fighting ring
Twelve people from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Texas have been arrested after a federal and state investigation into dog fighting and gambling.
3. Kasim Reed kicks off reelection campaign
Popular Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed kicked off his 2013 reelection campaign with a rally on the front steps of City Hall.
4. Big win for Venus Williams
On day one of the U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows in New York with a win from Venus Williams over 12th-seeded Kirsten Flipkens.
5. Prosecution to rest in baby shooting trial
The prosecution is expected to rest Tuesday in the trial of a teenager accused of fatally shooting a baby as he sat in his stroller.
6. Morris Brown must submit financial plan
A federal bankruptcy judge on Monday afternoon gave Morris Brown College until Sept. 6 to file a new financial plan to restructure all of its debts.
7. Andrew Young talks 'Dream' speech
"It stands with the Gettysburg Address," Young said.
8. Suspect arrested after Cobb Co. police chase
A brief police chase in Cobb County Tuesday morning ended with one arrest. The chase happened at around 3 a.m.
9. Could your Facebook friends hurt your credit?
A handful of tech startups are using social data to determine the risk of lending to people who have a difficult time accessing credit.
10. George Zimmerman wants Fla. to pay legal fees
George Zimmerman will ask the state of Florida to cover some of his legal fees, a lawyer's spokesman says.
11. Tuesday's events calendar
Take time on Tuesday to do something fun - use our event calendar to help make your plans!