LILBURN, Ga. -- A man and woman who were taken to the hospital early Thursday morning from a Lilburn house fire have died.
Tommy Rutledge of the Gwinnett County Fire Department said Wednesday that they passed over the weekend at Grady Hospital from smoke inhalation, according to the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner.
The two victims were identified as 83-year-old Virginia McMurray and 56-year-old Steven Hurd.
Just a few days ago, the home in the 200 block of Lester Road where they were living caught fire. Rutledge said the fire was called in by someone driving by around 4:30 Thursday morning.
The caller reported smoke and flames, and said he knocked on the door of the home, but no one answered.
When crews arrived to the home, they found the garage covered in flames. There was one vehicle inside. The residence was a one-story brick home with a wooden frame.
Firefighters rushed inside that morning, and Rutledge said they found an older man and a woman, both unresponsive. They had to be removed by crews, and both were immediately taken to Gwinnett Medical Center on life support.
Fire investigators determined the fire started in the garage, an open carport area. The home and vehicle were destroyed as the fire spread to the attic.
Rutledge said there were smoke alarms inside as the blaze grew, but it is not clear whether they were working or not.