ATLANTA -- Drivers headed toward I-85 near GA-400 or across the top end of I-285 should plan ahead and seek alternate routes, as contractors will close up to three lanes on the busy interstates this weekend, weather permitting.
MORE | Real-time Atlanta traffic map, cameras and delays
"We are expecting there to be a big delay through both locations," said GDOT Metro District Construction Engineer Shun Pringle. "When three lanes are closed on a major interstate near a big city there is just no way to keep it (the interstate) delay free."
On I-285, up to three right eastbound lanes will be closed all weekend for bridge work from Riverside Drive to Roswell Road.
On I-85, up to three lanes will be closed in both directions between Cheshire Bridge Road and Georgia 400 as contractors continue work on the big interchange project.
Additionally, single lane closures will be in place in various locations around I-285, on I-75 and on I-20 for drain cleaning, bridge painting and sign upgrades.
Here is a full list of this weekend's work in metro Atlanta:
1. Cobb, 7/29/13 to 10/7/13, 8pm to 6am, continuous
SR 120 Alt EB/WB, from MP 2.25 (SR 3/Cobb Parkway) to MP 4.09 (Roswell Road), one left lane closed in each direction & then right lanes closed in each direction for paving operations.
2. Fulton, 5/3/13 to 12/31/13, 9am till 3pm
Sidney Marcus Blvd EB/WB, from MP 1(GA 400) to MP (Buford Hwy), one right lane closed for construction activities.
3. Fulton, 5/25/13 to 1/31/14, continuous
SR 154 WB, from MP 34.16 (Capital Ave) to MP 34.02 (Trinity Ave), one right lane closed for parking deck construction.
4. Fulton, 10/5/12 to 12/31/13, 4:30am till 3pm, continuous
GA 400 NB, from MP 0.5 (I-85) to MP 1 (Sidney Marcus Blvd), one right lane closed to construct bridge bents for new bridge.
5. Fulton, 5/4/12 to 12/31/13, 9am till 3pm, daily
SR 13 NB/SB, from MP 2 (I-85) to MP 3 (Lenox Road), one outside lane closed with flagging operations to support construction activities.
6. Fulton, 1/12/13 to 12/31/13, 7pm till 5:30pm, weekly
Sidney Marcus Blvd EB/WB, from MP .5 to MP 1 (Sidney Marcus Blvd), road closed on Saturdays only for construction activities.
7. Fulton, 1/12/13 to 12/28/13, 7am till 5:30 pm, weekly
Cheshire Bridge Road EB/WB, from MP 0 to MP 0.25 (Sheridan Road), Road Closed on Saturdays only for construction activities.
8. Fulton, 1/12/13 to 12/28/13, 7am till 3:30pm, weekly
SR 13 NB, from MP 0 to MP 0.25 (Lenox Road), road closed on Saturdays only for construction activities.
9. Fulton, 5/15/13 to 12/31/13, 9am till 3pm,
Washington Street WB, from MP 1 (I-20 WB) to MP 1.5 (I-20 EB), one left lane will be closed for bridge painting operations.
10. Fulton, 6/14/13 to 12/31/13, noon to midnight,
GA 400 SB, about MP .5 (Sidney Marcus Blvd/I-85), one right shoulder closed for new bridge construction.
11. Fulton, 7/1/13 to 8/31/13, 9pm till 5am,
I-75 SB, about MP 251.7 (Mt Paran Rd) to MP 243 (SR 166), one left lane closed for sign upgrades.
12. Fulton, 7/19/13 to 8/17/13, continuous
DEERING ROAD NB/SB, from Peachtree Rd to Northside Drive, ROAD CLOSURED at Amtrak Station for replacing bridge beams.
13. Fulton, 7/26/13 to 8/12/13, 9pm till 5am,
I-85 SB/NB, from MP 88 (Cheshire Bridge Rd) to MP 87 (GA 400), three right lanes closed then three left lanes closed for bridge construction.
14. Fulton, 7/26/13 to 8/13/13, 9pm to 5am
I-285 NB/SB, from MP 0 (Washington Rd) to MP 14 (South Cobb Drive), left lane closed for cleaning and removing debris from drainage boxes and pipe.
15. Fulton, 7/24/13 to 8/28/13, 9am till 3pm,
I-75/I-85 NB, about MP 248 (MLK JR DR), right shoulder closed for bridge painting operations.
16. Fulton, 8/2/13 to 8/5/13, 9pm till 5am, continuous
I-285 EB, from MP 24 (Riverside Drive) to MP 25 (Roswell Road), three right lanes closed for bridge construction activities.