George Zimmerman (Getty Images)
(NBC) -- Attorneys for George Zimmerman apologized Sunday for mischaracterizing evidence they said boosted their theory that Trayvon Martin was the aggressor in his fatal meeting with their client last year.
Lawyer Mark O'Mara said during a hearing last Tuesday that the defense had obtained video footage of three fights, including one in which he said two of Martin's friends "were beating up a homeless guy."
RELATED | George Zimmerman trial coverage
But Zimmerman's defense team corrected that statement on Sunday, saying O'Mara had unintentionally "misstated the nature" of the footage.
In a statement posted on Zimmerman's website, the defense lawyers said the footage actually showed "two homeless guys fighting each other over a bike."
A Florida judged ruled Tuesday that Zimmerman's lawyers cannot mention Martin's suspension from school, prior marijuana use, text message exchanges or past fighting in opening statements when the trial begins on June 10.
Zimmerman faces a second-degree murder charge for shooting Martin to death after a confrontation on Feb. 26, 2012. The defense has argued that 17-year-old Martin was the aggressor and Zimmerman was just trying to protect himself.