3 missing Ohio women found, 3 brothers arrested

3:53 PM, May 7, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Police confirm missing teens found in Cleveland house

Video: 2 women, missing for a decade, found alive in Ohio

Video: Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight found alive

Video: Amanda Berry's desperate 911 call

Gina DeJesus and Amanda Berry, along with Michelle Knight (not pictured) were recovered from a home in Cleveland Monday afternoon. (USA Today)

CLEVELAND (USA Today) -- Three women missing for as long as a decade were found alive in a residential area of Cleveland on Monday, and police said they arrested three people in the case.

A hospital physician said all three women were in fair condition and talking with doctors who were evaluating them.

Crowds gathered Monday night on the street near the house where police said Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight were found earlier in the day.

"This isn't the ending we usually hear to these stories, so we're very happy," said Gerald Maloney, an emergency room physician at the Cleveland hospital where all three were being treated.

"They are able to speak with us. Beyond that, I can't go into any further details," Maloney said.

Cleveland Police Chief Michael McGrath said he thinks the three women were tied up in the house where they were found and had been there since they disappeared.

Police said three brothers - ages 50, 52 and 54 - have been arrested. The 52-year-old lived in the home. Police released no names and gave no information about charges they might face. McGrath said a 6-year-old also was in the home.

Police provided no details of how the women were found but said they appeared to be in good health and had been taken to a hospital.

A recording of a 911 call made Monday was released: "I'm Amanda Berry. ... I've been kidnapped, and I've been missing for 10 years. And I'm here. I'm free now."

She said she had been taken by someone and begged for police officers to arrive at the house on Cleveland's west side before he returned.

A neighbor, Charles Ramsey, said heard screaming Monday and saw Berry, whom he didn't recognize, at a door that would open only enough to fit a hand through. He said she was trying desperately to get outside and pleaded for help to reach police.

"I heard screaming," he said. "I'm eating my McDonald's. I come outside. I see this girl going nuts trying to get out of a house."

Ramsey said he'd barbecued with the home's owner and never suspected anything was amiss.

"There was nothing exciting about him - well, until today," he said.

Each had gone missing separately. Berry disappeared at age 16 on April 21, 2003, when she called her sister to say she was getting a ride home from her job at a Burger King.

DeJesus went missing at age 14 on her way home from school about a year later. They were found just a few miles from where they had gone missing. Police said Knight went missing in 2002.

Mayor Frank Jackson expressed gratitude that the three women were found alive.

"We have many unanswered questions regarding this case, and the investigation will be ongoing," he said in a statement.

"I've been praying, never forgot about her, ever," Kayla Rogers, a childhood friend of DeJesus, toldThe Plain Dealer newspaper. "This is amazing. This is a celebration. I'm so happy. I just want to see her walk out of those doors so I can hug her."

In January, a prison inmate was sentenced to 41/2 years after admitting he provided a false burial tip in the disappearance of Berry.

Police used backhoes to dig up a lot identified by the inmate last year in search of Berry's remains but found nothing.

Berry's mother, Louwana Miller, died in March 2006. She had spent the previous three years looking for her daughter.

Councilwoman Dona Brady said she had spent many hours with Miller, who never gave up hope that her daughter was alive.

"She literally died of a broken heart," Brady said.

(USA Today)

Most Watched Videos