Help Desk: Protecting Your Home Against Carbon Monoxide Dangers

6:07 PM, Mar 28, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Do you have a carbon monoxide detector in your home?  Do you know who to call if you believe your home has a leak?  Do you know the symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure?  The 11Alive Help Desk wants to make you aware of this silent killer and the preventative measures to take in protecting your home.

RESOURCE GUIDE | Avoiding CO poisoning 

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) a variety of home appliances can seep carbon monoxide into your home.  Gas space heaters, furnaces, fireplaces and gas stoves can all be culprits.  

RELATED | Father, son die from carbon monoxide poisoning

If you believe your home may have a carbon monoxide leak, call 911 immediately.  Fire crews will be dispatched to your home with the proper tools to measure oxygen levels.

It is important to maintain appliances in your home and have them routinely serviced.  Your appliance contractor or heating and air service can handle these routine checks that could identify issues before they become a problem.

According to the EPA, low concentrations of carbon monoxide could cause mild fatigue and chest pain.  Moderate concentrations could cause chest discomfort; impaired vision and reduced brain function.  At high concentrations, symptoms can include impaired vision and coordination; headaches; dizziness; confusion; nausea, and possible flu-like symptoms.

Most Watched Videos