Survivor of deadly Conyers fire thanks would-be rescuers

2:01 AM, Feb 6, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CONYERS, Ga. -- The Rockdale County Board of Commissioners honored Lamonta Stroud and his brother Richard Slater Tuesday night for their efforts to try to save four young children from a deadly fire.

On January 8, Stroud had just gotten back from high school wrestling practice, when he said he heard his neighbor Reeba Glass screaming in her yard. Four of her children were trapped on the second floor of their burning home on Pinedale Circle.

RELATED | 911 calls released from deadly fire

Stroud ran in to try to save them and his brother followed. When they couldn't reach the children through the front of the house, Stroud said climbed up on a back balcony and broke a window. He also broke all the windows on the ground floor.

"I was yelling at them 'Come to the bathroom, come to the bathroom. I'm trying to get you out. Come to the bathroom, but they didn't come," Stroud said.

RELATED | Plan your family's fire evacuation route
RELATED | How to get a free smoke detector

Deon Glass, Jr., Armoni Roberts, Dar'Shawn Glass and Ah'Dariya Glass. never made it out. The youngest was 8 months old, the oldest 9 years old.

Fire investigators determined that the children's 6-year-old brother accidentally started the fire playing with a lighter. He survived with minor injuries.

There were no working smoke detectors in the home.

Most Watched Videos