House fire blamed on fireplace blaze

7:18 AM, Nov 19, 2012   |    comments
(File Photo)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LILBURN, Ga. -- Authorities say a fire in the fireplace appears to be the cause of a Monday morning house fire in Lilburn.

Gwinnett County Fire Capt. Tommy Rutledge said the blaze, which spread to an exterior wall, caused moderate damage to the living room and sent smoke throughout the house on Forest Drive.

A man and a woman escaped unharmed. At one point, the woman reentered the house to rescue two cats; heavy smoke forced her back outside before she found the second cat, Rutledge said.

A Gwinnett firefighter was able to find the second animal, and both cats were reported doing fine.

Rutledge said the couple will be temporarily displaced due to the damage. They did not need assistance from the Red Cross.

11Alive News

Most Watched Videos