ATLANTA -- A devastating house fire overnight in northeast Atlanta left a family homeless but lucky to be alive.
They credit their 12-year-old daughter with waking them up and getting them out of the house.
"We have a huge window in our living room and I looked out and the back of the house was on fire and I ran into my parents' room and said the house was on fire," said Lily Massey.
She quickly woke the family; they all escaped unharmed.
But once outside, all they had were the clothes on their backs. Everything else was lost.
The family says the fire started in the attic and spread quickly.
"It was like a tinderbox. I mean it went up so fast my daughter saved our whole family. Things could be replaced but lives cannot," John Massey said.
For now the family is in a local hotel, but thanks to the generosity of a realtor neighbor, they will move into a furnished home, free of charge, for up to 6 weeks.
With everything gone, all Massey asked for were the basics: "Clothing, toiletries, toothbrushes and deodorant,"
We got right to work, contacting Kroger for the cosmetics.
They quickly invited the Massey family to the Toco Hills store to pick up all of their needs.
Next, we reached out to Macy's at Lenox Square.
"They are going to outfit you with $1,000 worth of clothing, right on the spot," we told the Massey family.
"Thank you so very much, that's where we shop. We cannot thank you enough for that. The outpouring from the community and from you means everything," Massey added.
The family says neighbors and friends have been delivering food and other essentials nonstop all day.