Dr. Rhonda Medows, commissioner of the state Department of
Community Health, approved the Gwinnett Medical Center proposal
last month after it was earlier denied.
- Fried, au gratin, crispy, escalloped, pan-fried, sautéed or stuffed foods are high in fat and calories. Instead, look for steamed, broiled, baked, grilled, poached or roasted foods. If you're not sure about a certain dish, ask your server how it's prepared. You can request that visible fat be trimmed from meat and skin be removed from poultry before cooking.
-Request that your meal be prepared with vegetable oil (made from canola, olive, corn, soy, sunflower or safflower) or soft margarine instead of butter. Ask for soft margarine for your bread.
-High-sodium foods include those that are pickled, in cocktail sauce, smoked, in broth or au jus or in soy or teriyaki sauce. Limit these items. Ask that your food be prepared without added salt or MSG.
-Have gravy, sauces and dressings served on the side, so you can control the amount you eat or skip them completely.
-Ask if the restaurant has fat-free or 1 percent milk instead of whole milk.
- Whole Milk (1 cup) - Substitute 1 cup fat-free or low-fat milk, plus one tablespoon of liquid vegetable oil
- Heavy Cream (1 Cup) - Substitute 1 cup evaporated skim milk or 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt and 1/2 cup plain low-fat unsalted cottage cheese
- Sour Cream - Substitute low-fat unsalted cottage cheese plus low-fat or fat-free yogurt; or just use fat-free sour cream
- Cream Cheese - Substitute 4 tablespoons soft margarine (low in saturated fat and 0 grams trans fat) blended with 1 cup dry, unsalted low-fat cottage cheese; add a small amount of fat-free milk if needed
- Butter (1 Tablespoon) - Substitute 1 tablespoon soft margarine (low in saturated fat and 0 grams trans fat) or 3/4 tablespoon liquid vegetable oil
- Egg (1) - Substitute 2 egg whites; or choose a commercially made, cholesterol-free egg substitute (1/4 cup)
- Unsweetened Baking Chocolate (1 Ounce) - Substitute 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder plus 1 tablespoon