Shopping For Groceries
• If you buy healthy food at the store, you'll eat healthy food at home
• Buy healthy food in 3 easy steps:
1 Shop from a grocery list
2 Read nutrition labels as you shop
3 Compare brands for nutrition value
• Keep a running list of needed grocery items on the front of your refrigerator. The kids can help with this.
• Check nutrition facts label for fat and sodium content
Limit saturated and trans fats which can increase cholesterol and triglycerides
Limit sodium which can increase hunger/thirst and affect blood pressure
Use % Daily Value as a guide
• Check ingredient list too; watch out for:
"hydrogenated" or "partially hydrogenated" oils (a.k.a. trans fat)
high fructose corn syrup
• Compare brands for healthiest option
If no "H" words in ingredient list, compare % Daily Value of fat/sodium.
Choose products with low source of fat/sodium
Demo: Cristina with grocery items of varying nutrition value
• Small change adds up to big pay offs in buying healthier foods that everyone will enjoy.