LIVE VIDEO: Atlanta and Company    Watch
 

EpiPens could save students' lives

11:16 AM, May 17, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ATLANTA -- Over the weekend, a 15-year-old boy from Macon died after eating a cookie with macadamia nuts.
He is at least the third young person in Georgia to die from a food allergy reaction since last August.

If the teen had been in school during the allergic reaction, under Georgia law, he may have had access to life-saving medication.

Georgia is one of just seven states that allows schools to keep epinephrine pens in stock. The state recently amended its law to allows educators and administrators to administer epinephrine even to kids who don't have a prescription for the drug.

That's important because experts says about 25 percent of allergic reactions happen for the first time at school.

Food Allergy Kids of Atlanta is helping to train teachers with the issue, including a recent session with educators in Forsyth County Schools.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most Watched Videos