Amelia Schaffner's Summer Plum Torte.
In our Weekend Kitchen Atlanta resident Amelia Schaffner shows us how to make a delicious Summer Plum Torte.
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) butter (115 gr.)
- 3/4 c. sugar (150 gr.) plus 2 Tbsp. for topping
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. all-purpose flour (125 gr.)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon (OR 1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Fresh plums, as many as needed (~2-4), quartered
- A few cherries (8-10), pitted and halved
- Place rack in lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
- Beat the butter and 3/4 cup sugar together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together, then mix thoroughly with the wet ingredients. Mix in the lemon zest (or the chosen extract)
- Place the batter in a greased 10? pie pan (I use a removable bottom fluted French tart pan).
- Pit and cut up the plums - if they are the little kind, cut them in half; if they are larger than about 2? across, cut them in quarters.
- Arrange the plums cut (peel) side down and the cherries on top of the batter, leaving about 1/4? to 1/2? in between the pieces.
- Mix together the 2 Tbs. of sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Bake for about 45 minutes. Cool in the pan.
If desired, serve the torte with a dollop of "Mascarpone" (Italian cream cheese) and some extra lemon zest. You may substitute sweetened whipped cream or ice-cream.